This fantastic fruit can help reduce inflammation and cool you off on a hot day. Get your immune boosting fill with this sweet snack!
How to Choose and Keep
If you are getting a pre-cut melon make sure the flesh is a deep color. If you are choosing a full melon the weight should feel nice and heavy with a smooth rind. You should be able to see a distinct yellow area where the melon was growing on the ground. Store the full watermelon at room temperature to increase the lycopene and beta-carotene. It is best to store the watermelon cut in the biggest pieces possible. Once it is cubed up, the melon will begin to spoil quickly. Store in airtight container or plastic. Enjoy within 1 week if it is cut. 2 weeks if it is whole.
Make sure to clean outside before you cut by spritzing with white vinegar/water mixture and rinse with water. Only cut what is needed and store the rest in the fridge.
Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Potassium, Magnesium
1. Pick a good ripe watermelon.
2. Cut in half and enjoy as snack with friends and family.
3. Use other half for a Watermelon Spritzer!
1. Watermelon Juice (or ½ watermelon blended)
2. Club Soda
-for an alcohol kick add some vodka
1. Blend watermelon in blender 1 minute or put through a juicer
2. Add 1 part club soda to 2 parts watermelon
3. Garnish with fresh mint if available
(Resource: www.whfoods.com Photo Credit: www.statesymbolsusa.org)