In the spirit of reaching towards happiness we need to understand many foods can actually make you feel sad :( Trans-fat, Caffeine, Artificial Colors, Food Additives, and Sugar are the top mood disrupting foods. Paleo foods can finally be a way to enjoy desserts and comfort foods, without toxins and additives! Below is my favorite Paleo dessert that is EASY and DELICIOUS! Perfect summer treat!
Tracy's Treat: Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 whole strawberries (organic best)
- 2 cups whipped coconut creamfrosting (See Recipe Below)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
3. Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl. Add the coconut separately.
4. Separate the yolk from the whites of 2 of the eggs. Set the egg whites aside.
5. Combine 3 whole eggs, two egg yolks, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and lemon juice with a hand mixer. Be careful that you don’t over mix.
6. Turn the mixer to low and add the dry mixture (don't forget coconut flakes) and wet mixture in alternate batches until the batter has no lumps.
In a small bowl beat the egg whites until thick, soft peaks form. (Using a hand mixer works best.) Fold into the batter very gently.
7. Pour or spoon batter evenly into the 12 cupcake liners.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until done. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully remove cupcakes from the pan. Cool completely.
9. When the cupcakes are cool, cut a small circle off the top and scoop out a little of the cupcake and put one whole strawberry in the cupcake.
10. Frost the cupcakes with the whipped coconut cream
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream (Dairy Free)
- 1 Can of Full Fat Coconut Milk (Organic and/or BPA free can recommended).
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract (This is optional. You can add any flavor you would like. 1-2 tsp of pure fruit preserves is a great way to make flavored whipped cream).
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Starch and 1/2-1 tsp Stevia (Sweet Leaf best brand). You can use 2-3 tbsp Confectioners Sugar if you are not doing paleo.
1. Place coconut in the fridge overnight still sealed.
2. Open the can without shaking it or turning upside down.
3. Carefully spoon out the top layer of opaque white stuff that has gathered at the top of the can into a mixing bowl. Leave the 1/2 cup of translucent liquid in the can and save for smoothies or toss.
4. Add Tapioca Starch slowly and begin to beat with a hand mixer until you get a creamy mixture. Then Slowly add stevia and flavor (i.e. vanilla) until you get sweetness you like. (Start on low and move to a higher speed, move the beater in an up and down motion).
(Resource: draxe.com, http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com)