Want a Great alternative to Stuffed peppers? Want even more vegetables in your meal? A wonderful balance of protein, vegetable and grain for a well-balanced dinner.
Tracy's Treat: Stuffed Zucchini
- 3-4 Zucchini (Organic or local as they are highly genetically modified) or get a nice huge one from the garden.
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper (part of Dirty Dozen so please get local or organic)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb. grass fed beef
- 1 tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tsp chopped or minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed (Optional)
- 1 cup cooked white basmati rice (I've found this to be the easiest rice to digest for anyone)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 & 1/4 cup chicken broth
1. Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil and then cook rice.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F.
3. Cut and stem zucchini. Use a spoon scoop out and discard flesh and seeds, leaving 1/2 inch of the flesh intact. Cut a thin slice on bottom if they are rolling around.
4. Place zucchini in roasting pan and place in oven while it is preheating to start to soften it.
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Saute on medium/high the onions and peppers just as they soften (aprox 5 minutes).
6. Set onion aside and brown the meat with the all purpose seasoning, fennel (optional) and garlic.
7. Reduce heat to low and add rice, chopped basil, chicken stock and stir.
8. Remove Zucchini and add in ingredients. Place in oven and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes until filling is slightly browned)