The sixth chakra is located in the third eye region and is called Ajna. It resides between the eyebrows and is associated with the pituitary gland. The third eye is known as your center of intuition, a place where your inner wisdom guides your choices. It is called your sixth sense, as this sense was used before your other physical senses were developed.
Tracy's Tip: 5 Steps to Balance the Sixth Chakra
A common sixth chakra imbalance is if you constantly doubt those intuition feeling and wish you would have listened to them after the fact. Mistrust is another symptom of a sixth chakra imbalance. Even ignoring your other physical senses (smell, touch, taste, see) can be coming from your sixth chakra..
1. Create strong and stable choices (we also learned about muscle testing with your third chakra). Try muscle testing to connect to your body and how to make decisions aligned with your authentic self. Stand with your feet firmly on the ground. Place your hands by your sides and tap into that space between your eyebrows. Say aloud your name. See which direction your weight goes (forward or backward). Then say a name not yours and see which way your weight goes (forward to back). Whichever direction your weight went when you said your real name is your "yes." Now ask yourself about anything by placing the item or your hands to the solar plexus and say "Is this for my highest good?" See which way it goes for a "yes" or a "no." If your weight seems to teeter in between that means you are uncertain.
2. Practice meditation (even if it is for 5 minutes). Find a 2 word phrase (like "Let Go") to say as you inhale or exhale to help the mind stay present. You can also just sit, breathe and pay attention to where your thoughts go. Try not to control anything, but just be. If seated meditation is too difficult for you try a mindfulness practice of just brushing your teeth being extremely mindful of each moment, each tooth and each sensation.
3. Use essential oils on your third eye space. I like oils like sandalwood, carrot seed and grapefruit. I also love inhaling peppermint to give me mental clarity so I can tap into my intuition more easily.
4. Child's Pose in Yoga is amazing for your sixth chakra. You actually rest your weight right on it in this pose. Using this pose when you're frazzled or restless can help bring you into a state of calm.
5. The color of the Ajna chakra is purple. Wear purple and use amethyst, lapis lazuli, and azurite gems to open Ajna.
(Resource: Chopra.com. Picture Resource: totallymeditation.com)