Indulge your sweet tooth with a homemade snack that adds healthy fats and eliminates high fructose corn syrup.
Tracy's Treat: Coconut Oil Honey Almond Granola (makes 4 cups)
- 1 cup almonds, divided
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor or blender, pulse half of the almonds until they are very finely chopped. 3. Pour them into a large bowl. Then chop the other half of the almonds coarsely, and pour them into the same bowl.
4. Pour the oats, salt, and brown sugar into the bowl with the almonds and stir to combine.
5. In a small microwaveable bowl, combine honey and coconut oil, and heat for 40 seconds. Stir to dissolve the coconut oil, and add the vanilla and almond extract.
6. Pour the honey mixture over the oats, and stir so that they are evenly coated.
7. Pour the oats evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet (helpful if it has sides).
8. Bake the oats for 5 minutes, and then stir them around. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
9. Pour the granola and onto a piece of wax paper to cool. Spread it out into a thin layer.
10. After it cools completely, break the granola into clusters and store in an airtight container.
(Resource: Lovely Little Kitchen)